An internship report is an important part of every internship and serves to summarize and document the experiences and knowledge gained during the internship.
This article is intended to provide interns with instructions on how to create an internship report. We will discuss the structure and content of the report and give tips on how to write it. We will also answer frequently asked questions so that interns can successfully master the report writing process.
Internship report: structure and content
An internship report generally consists of an introduction, a main body and a conclusion.
Typical content/structure of an internship report:
- Introduction: Overview of the internship, duration and area of work
- Main body: Description of the tasks and activities, reflection on them
- Conclusion: Summary of experiences, possible recommendations
In the introduction, you provide an overview of the internship, the duration and the area of work. In the main body, you describe the tasks and activities carried out during the internship and reflect on them. In the conclusion, you summarize your experiences and possibly give recommendations for the future.
Example: Students who have completed an internship in the field of marketing could write in this report:
Introduction: I completed my internship at company XYZ, which specializes in online marketing and social media. The internship lasted twelve weeks and I worked in a team of five people.
Main body: During the internship, I worked on various projects, such as creating Facebook and Instagram posts for different clients. I was also involved in the planning and implementation of a social media campaign. Working in a team has taught me the importance of collaboration and communication to deliver successful projects. One challenge for me was getting to know the various social media platforms and their target groups better.
Conclusion: Overall, the internship was a very instructive experience for me. I learned a lot about how online marketing as well as social media work and was able to improve my skills in this area. I recommend prospective interns to inform themselves in advance about the different social media platforms and their target groups to make their work more effective. I will incorporate the experience from this internship into my future career.
Internship report: Phrasing and sentence structure
An internship report is a valuable way for interns to present and prove their knowledge and skills. It can also be used for job or university applications and is therefore of great importance. Hence, the wording of the sentences is also important to make a professional impression and to convey all important information correctly.
Let Mimir formulate your bullet point (Example input: Running is great ➔ Result (1/3): Running is a healthy and effective form of physical activity that can contribute to improving cardiovascular fitness, mobility, and mental health.)
- Use clear language and structure e.g. “I learnt how to create a business plan.”
- Give concrete examples from the internship e.g. “By working with my team, I improved my teamwork skills.”
- Reflect on the experience gained during the internship e.g. “I have realized that I want to focus more on my communication skills in the future.”
- Use overly formal language
- Give general statements without examples
- Lie or exaggerate your experiences and achievements
- “I learnt a lot during the internship.” (Without specific examples)
- “I was the best in the team.” (Exaggeration)
- “I carried out the entire project on my own.” (Lie)
Tips for writing a successful internship report
An internship report is an important part of your internship documentation. It gives your internship supervisor an insight into your work and your experiences during the internship. It is important that the report is well-structured and easy to understand in order to leave a positive impression.
Have your text checked by Mimir (spelling, grammar, unscientific words, and more…)
- Start with a brief summary of the internship (e.g. “I completed my internship at XYZ and mainly worked with online marketing and social media.”)
- Structure your report in clear sections, such as introduction, main body and conclusion
- Use concrete examples from your internship to support your statements
- Use formal language and avoid abbreviations or slang
- Adding unnecessary details that are not relevant to the report
- Use informal language or a personalized speech
- Copy text from the internet
- Use incorrect or inaccurate information
- I contributed to the planning and implementation of a social media campaign, through which I learned how important collaboration and communication in a team are.’
- An example of a don’t: “I really learnt a lot and was in great hands in the team. It was quite chilled there.”
Tips for writing your report
When you start writing your internship report, it can quickly become overwhelming. There are so many things to consider and it can be hard to know where to start. To make writing easier for you, we’ve put together a few tips here that will help you write your internship report successfully.
Tip 1: Start early
The most important tip we can give you is to start writing early. The earlier you start, the more time you have to plan, research and write your report. This way, you can ensure that you can hand in your report on time and don’t have to worry about a possible delay.
Tip 2: Use an outline
An outline is an important part of any academic paper, including your internship report. An outline helps you to organize your thoughts and ensure that your report has a clear structure. Use Mimir, a web tool, to create and check your outline.
Tip 3: Use examples
Examples are an important part of any academic paper as they allow you to make your points more vivid. Use examples from your internship to support your arguments and illustrate your experiences.
Tip 4: Use Mimir to correct your report
An important part of the writing process is reviewing and proofreading your report. Use Mimir to check your report for grammatical and spelling errors. This way you can ensure that your report is professional and error-free.
Try out the correction directly:
Tip 5: Use clear language
Clear language is important to make your internship report understandable. Avoid unnecessarily complicated wording and formulations. Instead, you should use simple and precise language.
- Use simple words and sentences
- Avoid technical jargon unless it is absolutely necessary
- Check that all formulations are understandable
- Use unnecessarily complicated words or expressions
- Use abbreviations without explaining them
- Use imprecise terms
You can also use Mimir to check for clear language and get feedback on how to improve it.
Tip 6: Have someone else read your report
It is always helpful to get a second opinion before you submit your report. Have a friend or family member proofread your report.
Frequently asked questions
How long should my internship report be?
An internship report should generally be between 8 and 12 pages long. It is important that you describe all the important aspects of your internship without adding unnecessary details. With Mimir, you can check your internship report for the right length and receive feedback.
What belongs in the introductory section of the internship report?
In the introductory section of the internship report, you should summarize the most important aspects of your internship. This includes, for example, the name of the company where you completed your internship, your areas of responsibility and the duration of the internship.
How should I present my experiences and findings?
Deine Erfahrungen und Erkenntnisse solltest du strukturiert und logisch präsentieren. Verwende dazu Überschriften und Unterüberschriften, um deine Gedanken zu ordnen. Vermeide es, subjektive Meinungen zu äußern und beziehe stattdessen Fakten und Beispiele aus deinem Praktikum ein.
How should I formulate my conclusions?
Your conclusions should be based on the findings from your internship. Avoid making general statements, but instead summarize your findings specifically. You can use Mimir to check your conclusions and receive feedback.
Can I also use Mimir to proofread my internship report?
Yes, Mimir offers free proofreading of your internship report. You can simply copy your text into the Mimir editor. This way you can be sure that your internship report is error-free and well-structured.